[pygame] kind of animation

Hello everybody

I want to implement some animation and came up with 3 different ways to do that:

1. frame based animation

2. time based animation

3. event based animation

Well 1. one is clear: on each frame the animation is advanced one image. Simple to implement, but on different machines it runs with different speeds ( although you slow it down to a fix framerate).

The 2. one is a bit different: on each frame the time is passed and the animation is only davanced if the time for an image has passed by. On different computers it should run equaly fast, not depending on the framerate (because it depends on time).

And the 3. one only advances the animation if an event is received. Ok, doesent look practical but in combination with a timer perhaps it could. Or if one wants to make the animation depending on user action.

I wonder in wich way you do your animations. As said, I think framebased is the simplest thing to do, but perhaps not the best. And perhaps there are other ways to do animation!? There is also the other question: how to store the images for the animation. A list of images? Or one big image strip and then only changing the source rect? Or a list of sprites? What if an object uses 4 different animations? Use 4 lists in a dict? Or a list of animation-objects? Or an 2D-image strip and move the source rect?

You see I have some questions. :-)

~DR0ID