[pygame] Google SOC projects for pygame

It looks like Google and the Python admins have made the final
selections for the Summer of Code projects. There are a few that have
something to do with Pygame, but you can browse the entire list here,
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode

Sadly a python networking library was not selected. But it sounds like
random people will be working on this for themselves in the medium time
frame. Also, thanks to the discussion on pygame-users, I think we have a
clearer idea of what this module might look like.

Pygame on ctypes
Student: Alex Holkner
My project proposal is to rewrite Pygame to use ctypes. The current
implementation is written as a C module that links to SDL. The proposed
addition of ctypes to Python 2.5 is a great catalyst for using it to
wrap SDL and reimplementing Pygame in pure Python. This would allow
developers to extend Pygame with much more ease than is currently
possible, and to make use of SDL features not exported by Pygame, and to
give PyPy development another library.

Base multidimensional array type for Python core
Student: KarolLangner
The goal is to prepare a simple, generic multidimensional array
interface that can be readily placed in the Python core as a new
built-in base type (called, for instance, 'dimarray'), and possibly
included in a future Python distribution (maybe 2.6?). This new base
type will have the same C-structure as the current array implementation
in numpy and will be based on a interface recently formulated by Travis
Oliphant within a Python Enhancement Proposal
([WWW]http://svn.scipy.org/svn/PEP/). After preparing a 'ready to
insert' version of the array interface, it will be applied to numpy and
several other packages that work with multidimensional data, and
possibly modified in order to work out an optimal scope.

Python interface for writing Mozilla (NPAPI) plugins
Student: Marcin Pertek
Writing plugins with the NPAPI requires using the cumbersome and
error-prone C or C++. I propose a thin binding of the interface to
Python, by the means of a plugin embedding a Python interpreter and
exposing inside it the NPAPI. It does not imply executing Python code
from webpages, simply a way to write plugins in Python instead of C.
In addition to ease the creation of plugins, I would make bindings to
readily enable the use of wxPython, PyGTK, PyGame and Soya3D. These
bindings would enable those libraries to handle the in-browser window
and associated events.