Re: [pygame] PyGame Runtime

On Tue, 8 May 2007, James Paige wrote:
> Okay, I gotta step in here. Non-linux users should stop trying to impose
> a windows-style installation scheme on Linux users.
>
> rpm's debs' and ebuilds are all great systems. All three of them do
> something really tremendously important that windows/mac users often
> fail to understand-- they handle dependencies.
>
> When packaging for Linux, you should NOT be trying to bundle in a copy
> of python and pygame and all other dependencies. You should instead use
> a packaging format which simply describes the packages/versions that it
> depends on. The package manager handles the rest.

Without wanting to be too rude about it, I have to say that's an interesting
fantasy world you live in there :)

1. while I'd like to believe that we'll magically get packages for all the
games produced by PyWeek I know it's never going to happen.

2. you'll never, ever get the library version sets correct. One game will
require library X version 1.1.1, another version 1.1.2 (assume there's binary
incompatibility between the two ;). You can't expect Linux distributions to
maintain so many library versions, or cope with them all being installed.
This means there's no single "dependency" that can satisfy all game's
requirement for "library X".

3. I'm speaking as a happy Ubuntu user here, but even synaptic etc. on Ubuntu
can't hold a candle to the drag-n-drop installation of applications under OS
X.

     Richard