Re: [pygame] Fixed width font

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 12:54:13AM +1000, Alex Holkner wrote:
> Will McGugan wrote:
> >Is there any way I can get a fixed width font accross all platforms,
> >without bundling the script with a ttf?
> >
> >I'm using 'courier new' on Windows, but the exact look of the font is
> >not too important.
> Courier New is installed on all platforms:

<pedantic>
Um, not precisely.

For example, on many Linux systems you will not find Courier New.  There
will probably be an alias of that name, to some other fixed-width font.
There will also be a generic alias 'Monospace'.
</pedantic>

> it is one of Microsoft's
> "core web" fonts,

Yes.

> and is required by PDF applications.

<pedantic>
The PDF 1.4 spec (the last one I read) requires the availability of some
14 fonts, but Courier New was not one of them (plain Courier was, though).
That doesn't mean these fonts must be present on all platforms, the PDF
viewer may have those fonts bundled with it.  Heck, a PDF viewer is not
necessarily installed on all platforms.
</pedantic>

I agree that 'Courier New' ought to be a pretty safe bet.

Marius Gedminas
--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.
- Andy Finkel, computer guy