Re: [pygame] pygame vs python2.5: pygame.image.frombuffer raises TypeError: char buffer type not available

On, Fri May 16, 2008, Sam Morris wrote:

> I've run into a problem with pygame 1.7.1 when using Python 2.5, but not
> prior versions.
>
>         >>> import cairo
>         >>> import pygame
>         >>> s = cairo.ImageSurface (cairo.FORMAT_ARGB32, 256, 192)
>         >>> i = pygame.image.frombuffer (s.get_data (), (256, 192), 'RGBA')
>         Traceback (most recent call last):
>           File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>         TypeError: char buffer type not available
>
> I also tried this with pygame 1.8, with no luck.
>
> Can anyone say whether this is likely to be a problem with Python, or
> pygame, or my code? :)

Merely a problem with pycairo, which does not implement the character
buffer interface. Maybe we should enhance pygame.image.frombuffer to
deal with arbitrary buffers instead of character buffers only.

Regards
Marcus