[pygame] Implementing save feature

I'm currently part of a group developing a FOSS point-and-click
adventure game using Python and Pygame. The game engine is actually a
fork of the engine used in the game Colonel Wiljafjord and the
Tarbukas Tyranny, and entry in Pyweek #3. Right now we're working on
improving the engine in whatever way we can. If you're interested, the
source is available here: http://github.com/kallepersson/subterranean/tree/master.

So now I'd like to implement a save/load feature, but I don't really
know where to start. I have no idea how game save systems are usually
constructed, so I'm kind of lost. If anyone has any ideas, links to
resources, or pointers on how to best do this, please share.

Thank you!

Tommy Brunn
http://www.blastfromthepast.se/blabbermouth