Re: [pygame] Installing pygame on Mac OS X Snow Leopard: How do I tell the config.py script where libsdl is?

Jamison Dance wrote:

Also, in regards to the .dmg files, they are not installers. They just contain the SDL.Framework folders that you drop in to /Library/Frameworks, and it looks like it is just a bunch of header files, as opposed to .a or .so files.

If you look closely, you should see files under the XXX.Framework
folders such as

   SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL

These are the actual libraries. The convention on MacOSX seems
to be not to give them any extension, but they're actually shared
library files. On my system:

% file /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL: Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386 /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (for architecture ppc): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

Why is the format so different as opposed to the binaries I build myself from the source?

The format isn't really all that different, it's just a different
set of conventions for directory structure and filename extension.
But it takes a different set of linker options to get a library
installed as a framework.

I'm not sure why SDL doesn't build itself as a framework by default
on MacOSX. You would have to look into the build instructions and
possibly the configure script, etc. to find out how to turn on the
appropriate options. But as I said, it's probably not worth the
bother as long as a binary SDL distribution is available.

--
Greg