Re: [pygame] Pygame 1.2 fails to build :(

Richard Jones wrote:

> When I ran "python setup.py install" I got the attached log. System info:

ok, easy fix, but i really need to update the autoconfig script.
the "problem" is that you have Numeric python installed, but not the
Numeric headers. (thus my config stuff gets a little confused). you have
two options..

install the "Numeric-dev" package for your system. this problem comes up
on platforms that separate Numeric into a Numeric and Numeric-dev
package. once that is installed, rerun and you'll be installed fine,
with full "surfarray" support.

the other option is to simply disable surfarray/Numeric support. edit
the "Setup" file in that directory, and comment out the line for
surfarray (should be around line 32). once that's done just rerun the
setup script. you'll be all installed and working (but no surfarray
support).

the surfarray module is one of pygame's optional modules. i built it
this way because of the extra dependency. pygame will work fine without
it, but any games that must use surfarray will obviously not :]

good luck, and i'll plan to make pygame-1.3 a little smarter in this area

(you're not the first to be bitten)