[pygame] problems with pygame.mixer/alsa in gentoo

Hi Guys,

Being a gentoo newcomer one of the first things I tried to get running was
pygame ;).. however I stumbled over some problems which might or might not
be related to me not knowing enough about gentoo. So please excuse if this
is after all only gentoo related (in which case I'd be glad if someone could
pm me with a solution ;)

Now to the problem. I'm using python 2.2.1-r5 with pygame 1.5.3,
alsa 0.9.0-rc2 and arts-1.0.4. This is what happens:

crash@thor crash $ python
Python 2.2.1 (#1, Nov 26 2002, 21:13:18)
[GCC 3.2] on linux2
>>> import pygame
>>> pygame.init()
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:97:(snd_dlsym_verify) unable to verify version for symbol snd_config_hook_load
ALSA lib conf.c:2561:(snd_config_hooks_call) symbol snd_config_hook_load is not defined inside (null)
ALSA lib conf.c:2968:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 77 types alive.
(5, 1)
>>> pygame.quit()

Segmentation fault

In case of a pygame.mixer.init() call it immediately bails out like this:
>>> pygame.mixer.init()
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:97:(snd_dlsym_verify) unable to verify version for symbol snd_config_hook_load
ALSA lib conf.c:2561:(snd_config_hooks_call) symbol snd_config_hook_load is not defined inside (null)
ALSA lib conf.c:2968:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 77 types alive.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  pygame.error: Unable to initialize ARTS

All suggestions welcome,
--
Raiser, Frank aka CrashChaos
IRC: irc.openprojects.net #pygame

"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat
which isn't there."                -- Charles Darwin