Re: Re: Re: [pygame] ANN: pyglet 1.0beta1

Brian Fisher <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2007 3:29 PM, Richard Jones <richardjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > be a lot of 3d apps where resolution doesn't matter, but the
> bluriness
> > > of scaling 1.65 does kill small text and make crisp sharp lines look
> > > bad, and it makes pixel art distorted.
> >
> > With aliasing (GL_NEAREST texture env) the display will look exactly
> the same as if it was scaled by the monitor. No blurriness.
> >
> Fine, you can trade bluriness for having some of your source pixels be
> twice as long or as high as others. Nice to know you can pick in what
> way it looks bad, but I don't see how a nearest neighbor scale of
> 1.65:1 will look good in any meaningful way (i.e. I perfer the
> bluriness).

As I mentioned in my response to Ian if you want to scale while retaining aspect ratio you just alter the glViewport.

Monitors rarely offer this option. I know my old CRT and 6-month-old LCD don't. I can ask the nvidia drivers to perform scaling up to the monitor resolution for me in software while retaining aspect ratio...

> ...and every monitor I have scales/stretches much better than my
> openGL drivers do - CRT's stretch and scale nearly perfectly so I
> assume you must just be thinking of LCD's, but my laptop and HDTV are
> better than the bilinear filter of my video cards.

You are thinking of GL_LINEAR (commonly known as bilinear) scaling, not GL_NEAREST.

     Richard