Re: [pygame] MIDI player selecting wrong instruments

On Nov 17, 2009, at 2:38 PM, James Paige wrote:

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 06:14:03PM +0000, Matthew wrote:
Is there *really* no-one on this list who could at least give me a clue as to where in the pygame code to look at how the midi player decides which
  instrument files to open? :'-(

I am pretty sure that pygame uses SDL_mixer to play midi files.
SDL_mixer uses an embedded copy of timidity, which is almost certainly
not exactly the same as whatever standalone version of timidity you may have tested with. The original author of timidity abandoned it in 1995,
and the timidity++ fork has not been maintained since 2004. I have no
idea exactly where the SDL_mixer version of timidity branched off, nor
how well patches have travelled back and forth between SDL_mixer and
timidity++, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was slightly different in
some esoteric ways.

And, Matthew, since you brought it up, perhaps you could research how SDL_mixer and timidity++ are currently being integrated and maintained, how patches are being kept up to date, who is currently maintaining that, and let us all know what you find out.

Thanks,