[pygame] Announce: PygWeb2.0rc

Hello!

We would like to announce we have finished working on the PygWeb website that was originally intended to replace the current site on pygame.org <http://pygame.org>. Although this caused some controversy and the maintainer(s) of pygame.org <http://pygame.org> did not seem interested, we kept working. We now have a fully functional website with the same basic functions provided by the current pygame.org <http://pygame.org> website, but also many new features:

- a *real* user system with small profile pages, statistics, privacy settings and more

- improved project management with intelligent tagging, uploading multiple screen shots, integrating youtube videos and a "project of the month" poll (as replacement for "spotlight")

- a snippets section that allows users to post small, useful snippets of source code that others may learn from or reuse. Its quite the same idea like the pygame code repository (pcr), but easier to manage and to use. It also supports tagging and bookmarking.

- comments on nearly every content on the website, except for documentation and a few other pages

- lots of feeds (Atom & RSS), eg. for all new projects, new releases of either one special project or all projects, news, project of the month, ...

- subscriptions for most content with feeds, ie. you could get a mail on every new release of your favorite game or on pygame news

- full text search: Search in some subsections or the whole site

- consistent markup support including most common markup languages like reStructuredText, Markdown, Textile, Creole, bbCode (its very easy to add one) for all formatted text. All text edit fields have an preview option.

- timezone localization, even for anonymous users (the latter needs js)

- a shiny, modern style and an option to add more styles and every user can use the style he likes best (more styles are yet to be written)

- apis to access data programmatically: XML-RPC, for simple read requests, and REST, for enlarged read and write requests. A small example of use could be a "check for newer version" option in your game or even a possibility to directly download the new version

- enclosed irc bot with some useful commands (some use the website database) and an optional announcer feature (eg. announce news or even new releases)

- integrated Trac that provides a wiki, bug tracer, svn browser, plugin system (with lots of plugins out there) and more

- full admin interface with some nice and useful features to administer the site easily

- lots of configuration settings to change specific behavior (but with good default values)

Our site is open source and if someone would like to host it we will support it and help in getting it setup. We would, of course, like to see it on pygame.org <http://pygame.org>, but that's up to the owner of pygame.org <http://pygame.org> or the community.

The demo site sill runs at http://pygameweb.no-ip.org/ . There is already some data from pygame.org <http://pygame.org> for seriously testing content and also to show that we could successfully migrate data. The irc bot can be tested in #pygame on freenode. Just write "b0t help" to get a list of available commands.

Besides looking for a host for the site, we would like to get some more testers and feedback. There may still be some bugs or details that could be improved.

If you want a shiny, modern, new website representing your favorite python game library, get in touch!
It's up to you!

Regards,

Julian and Devon