Re: [pygame] Citing PyGame in papers

I personally would always cite with the original author(s), because
(at least for APA style) there is no clear rule when it comes to
citing Open Source software.
PyGame would then look something like this:

Pete Shinners (2011). PyGame - Python Game Development. Retrieved from
http://www.pygame.org

Hope this helps,
Florian

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Ryan Hope <rmh3093@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I realize its an open source project. However, I can't cite 40+
> authors nor is there any sort of unifying group which I could cite.
>
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know of a preferred way, or what is usual for open source
>> projects...
>>
>> That entry looks like it could be fine I guess?
>>
>> Does the year have to be the start year, or just the current year?  It is
>> published continuously from the year 2000 until now.
>>
>> Also, for Author I see pygame as a community open source project these days
>> with many contributors. At least 30-40 people have made significant
>> contributions to the source code, and many more to other parts of pygame
>> (releasing projects, wiki edits, writing tutorials, etc).
>>
>> cheers,
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Ryan Hope <rmh3093@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a preferred way to cite PyGame in a journal article? At the
>>> moment I am using the following BibTex entry but I am not sure how
>>> correct this is.
>>>
>>> @Misc{pygame,
>>> author = {Pete Shinners},
>>> title =  {PyGame},
>>> howpublished = {\url{http://pygame.org/}},
>>> year = {2011}
>>> }
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ryan Hope, M.S.
>>> CogWorks Lab
>>> Department of Cognitive Science
>>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
>>

> --
> Ryan Hope, M.S.
> CogWorks Lab
> Department of Cognitive Science
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

--
www.fladd.de - fladd.de: Homepage of Florian Krause
blog.fladd.de - fladd's Blog: Blog of Florian Krause