[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[pygame] PyGame website
- To: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
- Subject: [pygame] PyGame website
- From: Thomas Kluyver <takowl@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:43:59 +0000
- Delivered-to: archiver@xxxxxxxx
- Delivered-to: pygame-users-outgoing@xxxxxxxx
- Delivered-to: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
- Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:44:27 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=CsTu8MmQIUDo6E0OQpdKf2nT46bo7qUzT934bmecnHM=; b=uWBcGpx6yKwd1za9ixPeOe1Fou7H6l38f1W5w/YLeGWv844VTNoOkYBjOL67p47Iex m9Of5QgIV67kK3u5vyxIPJmpjtb5BtybiB1145elSvORAhXGYNn2kBMnjWW5lpDYcK40 0w6cW8xY5GgWaByBcADhKtD0j/9wSmOV/Xl3qf+7sX1ljKK+vCkKqwkHOH9snu/oRsKD RCsrVMWXdi5/8LyNBxjUlxM9cyhG/cHnDUAHGd9XUd0gRAD9nqnFwCdjLDiyhuWwMPaP WXFBd4NTruMGsddws/01gQ9cQq+z3usE6FZULIcVXihd+sEyoBOFgmpCZYT/aXdiGM3r 0LWw==
- Reply-to: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
Looking at the list archives, I know this has come up a couple of times recently, so allow me to present a slightly different take.
A few people have proposed replacing the site with a new one. Others mentioned that migrating the existing content might be quite a lot of work, and the idea seems to have fizzled out each time. Also, the currently website is interestingly unique, and it would be nice to keep that.
So I suggest incremental improvements:
- Re-enable new user registrations
- Pick some of the people who have volunteered to help with spam, and give them moderator status (or whatever is equivalent).
- Have a push to make sure pages are up to date and useful. For instance, the 'What's New' page is >3 years out of date.
- Put the site theme/engine in a public repository where people can contribute to it. (Or if it already is, make it easier to find)
- Improve the theme - I've done a brief mockup of some minor changes to the front page .
- If necessary, work on ways to cut spam to manageable levels, like simple CAPTCHAs.
N.B. The changes here are quite minimal - I've left the main layout and the colour scheme the same, but tried to make it a bit less crowded. I didn't think it should look too serious.