[pygame] SDL music question...

Hello All,

I'm running into trouble trying to play mp3 files (all I've tested so
far) with pygame.mixer.music.

In particular....

import pygame.mixer
pygame.mixer.init(44100)
music = pygame.mixer.music
music.load('mymusic.mp3')

....yields on run....

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "pp.py", line 4, in ?
     music.load('/home/mp3/sq.mp3')
pygame.error: Module format not recognized

I've just compiled the latest SDL_mixer against SMEPG 0.4.4 from
sources. I've also verified smpeg works, because plaympeg on the same
file will produce the desired output. Finally, I have recompiled smpeg,
SDL_mixer, and pygame in that order just to ensure dependencies were all
there... Still no luck. Any ideas?

(Aside: is there a way to FORCE an install with python's distutils? That
is, running `python setup.py install' with the pygame distribution
claims to find a lot of files that are already 'up-to-date'... this from
a freshly unzipped and compiled tarball...)

Thanks!
Mike