[pygame] Convert() loses alpha

Hi everybody,
I just reached a point in my app where I need accurate and fast blitting of
images as I work with high res( 1280x1024 ).
So far I was using code like this to load image:
    image= pygame.image.load( name ).convert()

It works fine and blitting is fastest possible on my HW. However it wipes
out the alpha channel( I see black pixels only ).
I was trying these also:
    image= pygame.image.load( name ).convert( 32, SRCALPHA )
and
    image= pygame.image.load( name )
    s= Surface( size ).convert_alpha()
    s.blit( image, (0,0) )

Basically all these above loses alpha or image itself.
I initialize my screen:
    display.set_mode( resolution, HWSURFACE | DOUBLEBUF | NOFRAME, 32 )

There is no difference on the flags or color depth I use.
Any ideas how to beat this beast ?

Thanks,
Dmitry/