[pygame] glcube.py demo needs to be fixed(?)

I'm not sure what is the cause, but the glcube.py demo
that comes with pygame-docs 1.6 (as well as other
Pygame-OpenGL apps) will not display anything under my
new configuration (Matrox Millenium G400 + Scitech GLDirect
5.0 demo version), *unless* I put in a:

glViewport(0,0,scrn_width,scrn_height)

command right after the invocation of pygame.display.set_mode().
The problem does not seem to be with PyOpenGL 2.0.1.09 because
the requirement is still there upon reverting to 2.0.1.04 Minimal.

I have some old OpenGL demo programs as well which used to
work with my earlier configurations (iirc, pygame versions before
1.6) which now need the same glViewport() call to be invoked before
they will display something.

The cause could be:

1) the OpenGL driver I am using
2) changes in pygame<-->pyopengl integration
3) changes in the SDL code

Since a lot of OpenGL code I looked at contains that call, most
of them work fine.  I am wondering if maybe it is glcube.py that
has been coded incorrectly and only worked earlier due to
coincidence?

Can people out there verify if glcube.py still works for them?
And can the more experienced OpenGL coders out there comment
on this seemingly newfound requirement to make a glViewport()
call?