Re: [pygame] Reference documentation translation

Pete Shinners wrote:
On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 11:32 +0200, Julien Herbin wrote:

I have recently been using Pygame, which I think is great product :)
Are there any plans to translate the reference documentation into other
languages ?
I actually would enjoy to work on the french one, but I don't know the
best way to do it.

The reference documentation is split into separate .doc files with the
source. These are simply formatted text files, not MS Word. There is
another script in the pygame source that turns these into the html
reference and the docstrings used by the C code.

If you were going to work on these, I would put all these .doc files
into a separate directory. It will be easy for testing to change the
"makeref.py" script to read the doc files from a separate directory.

Once in awhile there has been interest in translating the docs.
Previously the docs were embedded directly in the C source, so it wasn't
really an option. If this gets somewhere it would be easy to have the
source build the html reference for multiple languages. Then these could
move directly to the website with the rest of the reference.

The other option would be to roll the documentation into the wiki
portion of the website. At this point it would be trivial to translate
from the current format into what the website needs. I'm not sure if
that's better though.
Thanks Pete,

I'll first have a look at the .doc files coming with the sources (almost had a heart attack before reading "not MS Word") and maybe come up with ideas. I think you're right, creating separate directories for each language is a good thing.