[pygame] pygame.init before pygame.mixer.init?

I writing a program to simply play one sound (see below for the code),
and came across some interesting behavior.  If I call pygame.init()
before pygame.mixer.init(), I don't hear any sound playing.  However if
I call pygame.init *after* pygame.mixer.init (as below), the sound will
play.

Is this a known behavior?  What's causing the problem?  I understand
that I don't need pygame.init to just play a sound, but I don't think it
should matter if I call it.

Thanks!
Clare Richardson

import pygame