[pygame] Blended tile systems

I do a lot of work in Blender3d and very often I make textures by
using 3 textures of different sizes. One is the basic look, say a
square of grass. Then the next to are blurry cloud like shadow things.
The last is used for the normals but all that means is shading based
on the light angle.

So my question is has anyone ever made a basic 2d tile game this way?
You would end up with tiles that were much more natural looking an
much less tilish.

This is a animation I made this week using this technique for the
grass. See how there are almost no seen seams? If you look close you
will see a bit of repeat but not much. It is also totally  flat. The
hills are nothing but shading done with the 2 extra textures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn91J1YwikA&feature=related
If you go to my area you can find a bunch of other night walker vids
with the same grass.

So has anyone ever tried this 2d with a tile system?

--
Douglas E Knapp