Re: [pygame] 10 bits per color

René Dudfield wrote:
> hi,
>
> not yet...  highest is rgb 888, and yuv 422
>
> As James mentions SDL 1.3 is getting more pixel formats - I can't
> remember which ones they decided to support.  However a bunch of the
> other non-SDL code in pygame can only use 888.  So maybe in the
> future.
>
> Note, that it'd be very rare if a screen can show that many colors -
> most computer LCD screens are terrible these days (6bit rgb).  Often
> in video screens for home when they talk about the new 10bit color, it
> means 442 yuv, and most tv is broadcast with only 422.
>
> pygame also doesn't support color profiles, which can be important for
> color on your screen... and most importantly pygame doesn't know how
> to change the color of your light bulp(yet!!!!) shining down on your
> screen which changes the colors quite a lot.
>
> You can mess with the gama settings if you want... but that can make
> peoples monitors stick with that if you don't set it back!
>

> cheers,
>

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM, PierreLafrance1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <PierreLafrance1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi
>> Is Pygame supports 10 bits per color (ex RGB101010) ?
>> Windows 7 is going to support it
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Pierre

Hi all
Thanks for all these details.

I'm asking because new ATI graphic cards support HDMI 1.3 (HDMI support
DeepColor, meaning up to 16 bits per color RGB161616), and new TV with
retro light using LEDs has higher contrast (up to 2000000:1 wich is
about 126 DB dynamic range) and support HDMI 1.3 with DeepColor.  Lots
of DVD player also support DeepColor (not sure if any movie are
available in DeepColor) And Windows 7, comming october 22 support
RGB101010 and more.  I'm still looking for a Linux distro that has more
than 8 bits per color.
So all the industry is taking the turn with DeepColor.

Thanks,

Pierre Lafrance