[pygame] MIDI output on OS X???

I'd like to make a MIDI sound from a Python program. PyGame's midi
module was supposed to do it, but it doesn't seem to have a default
midi output device - or any midi output device!

pygame.midi.get_default_output_id() returns -1. Half an hour of
googling didn't help. Looking at the unit tests didn't help (there's a
bugfix aimed at this problem, but it seems to just bypass the test).

The mixer module can indeed read a midi file and make a sound come out
the speakers, but I'd rather drive the midi directly instead of
writing mini-files and playing them...

What should I pass in to pygame.midi.Output() on 10.5? Or what should
I do to create the midi device so that
pygame.midi.get_default_output_id() will tell me something other than
-1?

Thanks...

Chris

--