[pygame] pygame.error: Cannot set 0 sized display mode

Hello,

I have a python application that I have written with pygame that used to work
fine.  However, on upgrading to slackware 14 I get the following error:

pygame.error: Cannot set 0 sized display mode

Slackware uses SDL 1.2.14 - so I cannot see why I am getting that error.  The
offending line of code, which used to work fine is:

    self.window = pygame.display.set_mode((0,0),pygame.FULLSCREEN)

It is fine if I pass a resolution of (1280,1024), my screen resolution.  I
note however that later in the program an object created with
pygame.display.info fails - current_w does not exist.  Any idea what is wrong,
or better still, how I may fix it?

Pete