Re: [pygame] Figuring out idle time

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 12:12:39PM -0700, Pete Shinners wrote:
> this should be fairly simple. the part of your program that checks the
> event queue should look something like this...

Excellent, this is more or less exactly what I was looking to do.  Just
for the sake of clarity I think there were a few errors in the below
that I'll correct for everyone's benefit:

> last_event_time = pygame.time.get_ticks()
> screensaver_time = 60000 #60 seconds
> no_screensaver = (MOUSEMOTION, MOUSEBUTTONDOWN, MOUSEBUTTONUP,
>                   KEYDOWN, JOYAXISMOTION, JOYBUTTONDOWN,
>                   JOYBALLMOTION, JOYHATMOTION, VIDEORESIZE, QUIT)
>
> while 1:
>     for event in pygame.event.get():
>          if event in no_screensaver:

I think you meant event.type and not just plain event.

>              last_event_time = pygame.time.get_ticks()
>          handle_all_other_events_blah_blah(event)
>
>     if pygame.time.get_ticks() - last_event_time > screensaver_time:
>          do_the_screensaver()

After the screensaver returns you should update last_event_time or else
it'll go right back into screensaver mode.

>     rest_of_app()
>

> def do_the_screensaver():
>     screen = pygame.display.get_surface()
>     original_screen = pygame.Surface(screen.get_size())
>     original_screen.blit(screen, (0,0))
>
>     while 1:
>         for event in pygame.event.get():
>             if event in no_screensaver:

Again I think you meant event.type

>                  screen.blit(original_screen, (0,0))
>                  return
>         draw_pretty_graphics()
>
>     #should use one of korruptor's terrific effects in the PCR, like
>     #water,       http://www.pygame.org/pcr/water/index.php
>     #motion blur, http://www.pygame.org/pcr/motion_blur/index.php
>     #acid,        http://www.pygame.org/pcr/acidblur/index.php

Terrific effects indeed.

Much thanks for the sample, this certainly pointed me in the right
direction (er, more like carried me down the road on your back :)
Thanks again.

Robert