[pygame] surfarray woes

First my question: I have an surfarry.array3d that I created from a surface.  Lets call it myarray.

I understand to flip it (horizontally or vertically):

myarray[-1:0:-1,:]
myarray[:,-1:0:-1,:]

but when I was trying to do the "blur" I ran into trouble:

myarray[1:,:,:]  += myarray[:-1,:,:]*8
or
myarray[1:,:] += myarray[:-1,:]*8
or
myarray[1:,:] += myarray[1:,:]*1

all return: return array has incorrect type

but

myarray[1:,:] += myarray[:-1,:]
and
myarray[1:,:] += myarray[1:,:]
work!

so I could do it the crappy way and add it eight times, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea of why this could be failing!

Plus when I go to do:
myarray /= 2

I get  return array has incorrect type again...

-----

Pete - Thanks for the great tutorials/docs dealing with surfarray & sprites -- coming from SDL in C, I am not used to such wonderful tools!