Re: [pygame] LGPL and the PGU Library

On Sep 11, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Pete Shinners wrote:

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 23:00 -0400, Kris Schnee wrote:

I've been looking at the PGU Library for Pygame, and I don't understand
the Limited/Lesser General Public License it comes with.

If I use Py2Exe to build an executable that uses Pygame and PGU (but
doesn't change either library itself), can I distribute it without
giving away my source code? Can I charge for the program?

The point of the LGPL license is that you can use an open source library
inside closed source projects. It sounds like the specifics that are
hanging you up is that the LGPL library must not be statically linked to
the binary executable. Since you are using Python, this is not really a
problem, since python modules aren't really statically combined.

Well, the latest release of py2exe has a method for "statically combining" the DLLs into the executable so that (in the pre-python2.4 case) you can distribute a single file executable that includes Python, your extensions, and their DLL dependencies.

-bob