Re: [pygame] Double Buffered display vs Overlays

On Saturday 17 September 2005 21:45, Dmitry Borisov wrote:
> What hardware you use ?

This behaviour (flicker & need for "broken" overlay sizes) exhibits itself
with one ATI chipset based machine (even when hardware accellerated),
an i915 chipset based machine (even with hardware acceleration & DRI)
and using the linux framebuffer device (fbdev).

On one nvidia video cards I've tried, then, and only then AFAICT, do you get
the desired/hoped for behaviour. That's not really any use to me.

> On some hardware you can get accelerated graphics on frame buffer via
> DirectFB.
> I have written pydfb bindings for it which has exactly the same interface
> as pygame.
>
> I had no problems displaying nice OSD pics over HW overlay at all.

*shrug*

I want something that will work generally speaking, not just on my dev
machine. One of the nice things about pygame is that it generally just
works cross platform, where as currently display over Overlays doesn't
even work on the same (nomrinal) platform with different display
drivers, except for video playback without anything displayed on top - which
works great :)

Thanks for the feedback, & regards,

Michael.