[pygame] Pygame runs faster when mouse is moved

I'm encountering an interesting artifact in my 'falling snow' routine. When I wave the mouse around, for no reason, the snow appears to fall faster. :-D The code is way too complicated to strip out and show you by itself... I was hoping someone had done some advanced Pygame routines and encountered this themselves, and could give me a clue.

I suspect it has to do with the event queue processing, but I don't know how. I run through all the events in the queue, then render... but nothing is drawn until the 'render' routine. It makes no difference if I process only one event in the queue, then render, the same behavior is exhibited. Even the throttle makes no difference.

--Kamilche