Re: [pygame] 3D SHMUP

Well, everything runs smoothly as I try to download ODE, but when I try to 'make' it, it spits out a huge list of errors about DrawStuff. Does anyone know how I can disable the installation of DrawStuff? It says I can on their website, but it doesn't say how.

Thanks!

Samuel Mankins wrote:
Ah... I hadn't seen that in the dependencies. Thanks!

DR0ID wrote:
Hi

setuptools is a own module:

http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/setuptools

I hope that helps ;-)

~DR0ID

Samuel Mankins schrieb:
Hm... I can't get PyOpenGL to install properly--It says it's missing setuptools.py, and sure enough, I can't find that anywhere in it. Thanks anyway!

Miriam English wrote:
Samuel Mankins wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to right a SHMUP, sort of a Metroid style of thing. I downloaded the RayForge demo from pygame.org, and I'm thinking I might want to use that as a base, but where do I start? This is my first time writing something 3D, and I'm not even sure how to get a bullet to appear.

Don't let yourself be discouraged. At times it can seem like a long road, but it can also be surprisingly easy. I've had some success with pygame + pyOpenGL + pyODE.

pygame lets you easily handle the window and events.
pyOpenGL gives you easy access to all the OpenGL 3d functions.
pyODE lets you use physics and collision without driving you crazy. :)

Have a look at tutorial number 3 on the pyODE website:
http://pyode.sourceforge.net
The python script that does that is tiny!

You can get pyOpenGL at:
http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net

I don't remember if they are available for Mac. I don't know a lot about Macs, but I'd think they could be compilable on OSX.

3D is a lot of fun when you do get it working, and believe me, you *can* get it working right from total newbie status. Just be prepared for some stumbling blocks along the way... but that's where the pygame, pyOpenGL, and pyODE email lists come in useful.

Go to it.

Cheers,

    - Miriam