Re: [pygame] Pausing a function

Hm... That might work, but it would require restructuring my code quite a bit--Right now I have a function that refreshes the screen and redraws all the sprites, and then a function the continuosly calls it, but can be paused so that updates take place during functions. Thanks anyway, I can give it a try.

Casey Duncan wrote:
You will need a loop that continuously calls methods to update, draw and refresh the screen. At the top of the loop you could check for events to see if you need to do anything. Basically something like:

clock = pygame.time.Clock()
while playing:
    for event in pygame.event.get():
        handle_event(event)
    sprites.update() # update all sprites, including ambient animation
    dirty = sprites.draw(screen)
    pygame.display.update(dirty)
pygame.display.flip() # May not be necessary depending on display config
    clock.tick(40) # Limit to 40 fps (set this to whatever you like)

You can also be kinder to the system by inserting a short time.sleep() in there, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader ;)

-Casey