[pygame] Starting with pygame

Hello everybody!

Like many others, I'm also trying to start with python and pygame. Besides
the fact, that I'm not very familar with OOP at all (only procedural
languages until now), I'm trying my best to get things done.

At the moment I'm playing around with pygame and it's possibilities. So I'm
trying to make a little game, were a plane is flying across the screen
with also up and down movement, as well as animation of the image (sprite?).
Later, I'd like to have a guy jumping out of the plane and flying down,
using a parachute and landing on a small island.

What have I got now?

- I can open the screen
- I can move my single plane-image across the screen (increase X-pos)
- I can move the plane-image up and down the screen (increase and decreas
Y-pos)

What is my next Step?
- I want to "blit" a background image also onto the screen. Are there any
recommendations on this?
- I want to load more images of the plane. Each is a single frame of an
animation. It just should show the propellors of the plane moving/turning.

I would be thankful, if anybody could help me with some recommendations on
how to best go on with my learning on the above two items.
Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Peter

P.S.: Please excuse my kind of writing - English's not my native language.