[pygame] "tint" a surface?

I've been searching around, trying to see if there is a 'best practice" way of doing this in PyGame.  Havn't found much, time to ask.  I'm used to doing this in Processing where it's pretty easy, so I feel like I may be missing something.  But don't worry, I'm a PyGame convert :)

Example:
Currently, I'm kind of hacking around this:
This does work.  But seems like a lot of extra surfaces I'm making to pull it off.  I'd rather see (given the ability)

Surface.tint(someColor)

Which would simply return a new surface tinted with the given color.
Am I missing something built-in?  Any other ideas?

Thanks