[pygame] moving a box diagnally

Hi, I'm just beginning to learn python and pygame. I've gone through the first four chapters of "Game Programming, The L-line, the Express Line to Learning.  Right now I'm working on an exercise that asks me to "make a box that moves in a diagonal path. Can someone tell me why when I run the code the program only executes while I move the mouse? Also, can you tell me how i can change my code to avoid this? Thanks, Kevin

here is my code:

import pygame
pygame.init()

screen = pygame.display.set_mode((640, 480))
pygame.display.set_caption("Diagonal Red Square")

background = "">
background = "">
background.fill((0, 0, 0))

box = pygame.Surface((20, 20))
box = box.convert()
box.fill((255, 0, 0))

box_x = 0   #box variable for the x-axis
box_y = 0   #" " y-axis

clock = pygame.time.Clock()
keepGoing = True

while keepGoing:
    clock.tick(30)
    for event in pygame.event.get():
        if event.type == pygame.QUIT:
            keepGoing = False

        box_x += 5
        box_y += 5

    if box_y > screen.get_height():  #checking for screen boundaries
            box_y = 0
    if box_x > screen.get_width():
            box_x = 0

    screen.blit(background, (0, 0))