[pygame] Pygame subsurface inherit surface flags?

Hi,

 I've read the documentation but am still hazy. If have defined a surface with specific flags (in particular pygame.HWSURFACE) should a subsurface of that surface inherit the flags (i.e. is also a hardware accelerated surface(i.e. in video card memory) or do I need to do an explicit 'convert' with the flags called again? My impression when I call 'get_flags' on the subsurface is that it is NOT getting the parent flags... but wanted to confirm this is expected and therefore I have to do an explicit convert.

  Thanks

p.s. my overall context is I have loaded a texture atlas from file. I have given hardware acceleration flag (HWSURFACE) I now want sprite imagery derived from the atlas (subsurface seem the simplest and most efficient way to achieve this) but I want it to retain the same flags (e.g. HWSURFACE).