[school-discuss] Re: New Foundry Request / Educational Computing

I think that an educational foundry should be seperate from any other
foundry. Here is why:

1. There are many non-profit organizations that will be writing code that
are not based for educational usage that will be in this foundry.

2. There are enough non-profit orgs to justify a foundry of its own too.

3. Educational/Non-Profit foundation will make the waters muddy when it
comes to teachers/administrators viewing open source application
information or doing research on the sourceforge site. (Sourceforge will
play a big role in research and informatino with an educational foundry)

4. Most educators and administrators are not going to be adept enough in
technology and the jargon that a lot of projects contain to judge if it is
an "Educational" or "Non-Profit" this will cause confusion and possibly
more sceptics and non-belivers that open source can help school systems.

5. There are several educational projects that are going on that are not a
non-profit and therefore will muddy the waters for those that are doing
for-profit endeavors. This would not be fair to them.

6. I think a foundry will allow others to recognize that sourceforge does
recognize educational projects as a valid project and that a spring of new
projects may come into view. This can only help the both of us. I also
think that it will be easier for educational projects to attract seasoned
open source developers as well.

7. I just think it will plain enhance the Open Source movement into the
educational institutions.

These are a few of the reasons and I could probably write a 15 page email
on others. I have cc'ed this email to the Schoolforge list
(http://www.schoolforge.net/) and it is possible that members from there
will have more ideas and input on these. If so I can get back to you with
more pro's and con's.

--
Matt Jezorek
Executive Director / Founder

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED

Unless otherwise indicated or obvious from the nature of the following
communication is intended for the use of the individual or entity named
above.

If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error or are not sure whether it is privileged, please
immediately notify us by return e-mail and destroy any copies,
electronic, paper or otherwise, which you may have of this communication