Re: [school-discuss] Feedback needed from teachers for the

Quoting Anne-Marie MAHFOUF <a-m.mahfouf@lineone.net>:

> But if teachers just say
> it's crap and don't want to be involved, how do we (developers)
>actually make  it good educationally?

Firstly, I apologise unreservedly for any insult or injury perceived
in my email. I wrote it late at night, half asleep, after spending
yet another evening discussing a community ISP project I'm involved
in.

> I know that teachers don't have many time (I myself have several
> children so  it's not better).
> If someone knows of a better mailing-list to send my mail, please
> do tell me.

This is an ideal list to send email to. Not everyone is as grumpy as
I can be sometimes.

> I don't find your mail very constructive and it's quite
discouraging, to
> be  frank.

Please do not be discouraged. I actually have some positive input to
make, but I don't have time to sit down and write it out right now.
In essence, though, I believe that the open source education
movement needs to look more at the "contentless" end of the software
spectrum, rather than the "drills" end. The teaching of straight
content is, generally speaking, not what education needs to be about
in this day and age. We need products that allow open-ended,
investigative, collaborative learning, probably over a network or
the internet. Using a computer to show flashcards is a waste of
resources ... we need to use computers to do things that can ONLY be
done with (networked) computers. I would be happy to contribute to
such a project, or to further discussion.

> I apologize if the list is not adequat for my mail.

It is I who should apologise. I believe I have a point, but I'm
sorry for offending you.

> Anne-Marie

Michael Hall