Re: [school-discuss] Re: New Foundry Request / Educational

hello,

mysql has the largest number of ready to go open source applications.
postgres is the most robust and has a wealth of "industrial strength"
features, like db2 and, i think, superior to oracle.

if you're not going to have 100+ concurrent requests for extended periods,
mysql will deliver terrific bang for buck.  but, if you're in this 100+
category, you'll regret not using postgres.

win98 is a mistake for a server.  what about nt 4.0, w2000 ...

i'd work real hard at sticking to straight sql in any case,
if you're concerned about transportability.

a good prelim would be bringing up a website (public or not)
using mysql-php-apache.  perl is equally desirable to php,
because a lot of "good-to-go" software is available.

visit freshmeat, rpmfind and linuxapps to get an idea of what is available.

we use mysql 9 times out of 10.

figuring a delivery schedule and budget first will clarify the decision
making process considerably.  we generally start by making a feature list,
then mapping it to available software, to determine how much coding is
required to deliver the goods.  using available code base should yeild a
70-85% cost reduction.  this is a great idea to focus on in a "zen" way
berfore committing to a platform.

for the record :

we use multiple sql platforms, but avoid distribution specific extensions
like the plague.  that makes platform selection a lot less like marriage and
begs a question :

"so what if i use several sql solutions ?

good luck.

mike eschman, etc...
http://www.engima.com
"Not just an afterthought ...