Re: [school-discuss] Re: New Foundry Request / Educational

[snip]
However, I now notice that  MySQL on Windows is also Cygwin based.  Anyone
with any experience in how they compare running on Windows 98?  (Does
PostgreSQL actually run on Windows 98?)
[/snip]

I have run MySQL on a Windows 95 computer(Pentium 200, 64 Megs Ram), and it
handled rather well I think.  For a long time I used it for light database
stuff, but it was used as a workstation at the same time by other people.
Performance wasn't amazing but it ran good enough to host a forums with
1,000 members.(the slow down wasn't it, but another computer doing the PHP
via CGI on Linux but it was only a Pentium 166 overclocked to 180).  It was
not fast enough to Handle 180,000 row tables(The Planetarion DB for a IRC
bot I wrote).  That was a limitation in the RAM, because it had to start
swapping to disk for the indexes of the table.

Anyways,   If you stick any of these databases on a Windows based platform,
I think you will find they will run fine, just don't expect them to scale to
200 concurrent connections.