RE: [school-discuss] Thoughts on how to make Schoolforge more effective

I feel as though, in the very short time (less than a week) that I have read this list that the real character of a few individuals has shown through in a way that has drawn me in.  so I would say that this list IS building a sense of community, although I usually prefere and asaynchronous model ,such as a msg board...Although, Matt@Bluelinux (one of those whose postts I have enjoyed) has responded here, but not onthe boards at bluelinux, to my messages, for what that's worth.
Kyle and Mike E, as well as Matt, already I feel as though I a getting to know you, as I annoy you with my ignorance, I am sure.
I have complete respect for what you are trying to do for both Schools and OpenSource.  Your generosity and sharp wit both have gotten my attention.  Keep this up!
but find a way to send this list in digest, please...

Tony Baldwin

>Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:52:07 -0500
> Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net> schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net [school-discuss] Thoughts on how to make Schoolforge more effectiveReply-To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
>
>I'm forwarding this message from Paul Querna with his permission.
>I've marked the parts Paul wrote, and my responses, with our
>respective names.  I'd like everyone else here to join in on this
>discussion.
>
>----------------------------
>
>Paul: I agree with inf ["inf" is the IRC nickname of Teemu Arina,
>another member of our group] that SchoolForge doesn't have the feel
>of a community.  I do feel distant from it.  The Linux in Education
>reports are great, I applaud them, and I enjoy reading them, but it
>doesn't bring the people together.
>
>Doug: Thanks for your encouragement.  I never meant the Linux in
>education reports to be a rallying point so much as a snapshot of
>our ongoing discussions and work for the rest of the Linux and
>educational communities to see, so they can be kept abreast of what
>we're doing and what problems we're finding.
>
>Paul: I think that inf is correct in that a Web based Fora/Forum
>software is needed.  I personally much prefer these.  What would be
>better is a Fora/Forum that can automatically take in the mailing
>list and cross post, etc...( a complete forum <-> email gateway is
>needed, I don't know if one exists, but for a normal forum also look
>at phpBBv2, which I feel is better than phorum.  I think I could
>even write a forums <-> email gateway pretty easily if it comes down
>to that.)
>
>Doug: I personally prefer email mailing lists, but I recognize that
>tastes differ.  I'm happy with having a web-based forum so long as
>there's a fully bidirectional web<->email gateway between it and
>this mailing list, so we have one discussion with two interfaces to
>it rather than fragmenting the discussions by creating two fora in
>different media covering the same topics.  To that end we're looking
>at Phorum as the software for implementing web fora because it has
>such a gateway.  Harish Pillay is planning to set it up for us.  If
>anyone has suggestions for a better program for this purpose, please
>let us know.
>
>Paul: Also, one thing I think that could be helpful is a technical
>discussion area.  I know there are others out there programming for
>Schools, but there is no central place for all of us to confer on
>formats, design plans or even help out on simple programming
>problems.  I know this is part of the idea of the mailing list, but
>I feel that most of the developers have not used the mailing list
>for this purpose, so I think that web based forum would be more
>receptive to them.
>
>Doug: We talked about this a little while ago when the EduML
>discussion was running.  It was definitely too early at that time to
> [...]

http://www.school-library.net
READ, CONNECT, LEARN!

Go to the http://www.School-Library.net  for all your academic needs.
Resources for Teachers, Students & Parents.

Express yourself with a super cool email address from BigMailBox.com.
Hundreds of choices. It's free!
http://www.bigmailbox.com