Re: [school-discuss] Feedback needed from teachers for the

> The biggest and popular educational software in demand today (in
> Australian schools at least, things like Kahootz, Kidspiration,
> mind-mapping software, etc) are not flashcard programs. Open
> source, in my opinion, needs software to compete with products
> like these, and they should be web based. If anyone is interested
> in building a web application along these lines using Perl,
> Python or PHP, count me in. My own humble contribution in this
> area is a web-based student newspaper application that allows
> kids to publish text and graphics to a school web-magazine. It is
> not rocket-science, it is pretty basic, but quite young kids can
> use it and it works (see
> http://ninti.com/schools/larapinta/nintinews/ ). What it needs
> is: conferencing with teacher/peers, spell checking, etc.

This is OK for schools with an internet connection.  In the KDE-Edu
project, we ruled out web-based programs because the vast majority
of schools we aim to reach does not have an internet connection.
KDE is a world-wide project, translated in more than 50 languages.

I think that schools in the USA or Australia obviouly don't need the
kind of software we aim to produce and even don't find it
interesting.

I would like to know if this list is only for people from developed
countries.  In this case, I have nothing to do with it. When I see a
lengthy thread about gradebooks stuff, I am sorry to say that it
does not concern the majority of people in the world who don't use
gradebooks in schools.

Anne-Marie