Re: [school-discuss] Re: XML in Education

> - that we don't have a universal concensus on a specific XML for education.
> This is not for lack of candidates  (EduML, EML, IMS, SIF, and their
> siblings) but that the concensus-building is happening among commercial and
> institutional entities in a closed manner (it costs 1000 dollars to be in on
> this game with IMS for example) ... so we try to make sense of the "open"
> documents released from time to time without the context of the closed
> deliberations.

Should all interested parties try to get together on one accord to help
define a standard?

> 3. wondering how long this process will take, and what to do while we wait
> for a standard to be universally accepted

If we wait it may never happen. The only way to get a standard in place is
to begin to develop and build upon it.

> Now to answer the specifics of where we are with EDUML:
>
> - 6 of us have participated in various ways in building up a website
> http://www.edu-xml.org which contains the some thoughts and exercises on the
> creation of , and possible uses for a standard XML in education.  It is
> incomplete and work has ceased for the past month ... and I have described
> some possible reasons for that in the previous paragraphs
>
> The next step was to be to select an XML schema from the list of candidates
> we have compiled. I hope you now see why I am just not sure that we are ready
> for that today...

I believe since EduML is a Open Source project that lessonforge can use
it. However it appears that the lesson plan portion should be expounded
on. I will do a bit more looking at it and decide by what means to talk
about it. XML we feel is the only way to keep this data going. Reasons
being is we can create an XML search that desktop clients can use, as well
as then present the data to them with one format.

> <dream> >
> My dream is to discover tomorrow that a group of highly qualified experts in
> educational data interchange working in an open forum, publish their
> recommendation, get it recognized by the W3C or IEEE  so that we can get on
> with building software around that standard and that our future debates
> about XML in Education be reduced to reminding ourselves to stick to this established
> standard.
>
> </dream>

<reality>
	If we dont work toward the dream ourselves it may never happen.
	Are you willing to risk this?
</reality>
--
Matt Jezorek
Executive Director / Founder

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED

Unless otherwise indicated or obvious from the nature of the following
communication is intended for the use of the individual or entity named
above.

If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error or are not sure whether it is privileged, please
immediately notify us by return e-mail and destroy any copies,
electronic, paper or otherwise, which you may have of this communication