[school-discuss] Re: XML in Education

I think you are absolutley correct, Michael. In fact, *storing* data in XML
format is worse than putting into a flat file: in a flat file, you can simply
append a record to the bottom, but with XML, it might need a closing tag, so
the whole file would need to be rewritten. That's a problem for large files (I
know, I tried it).

What I hope most people are advocating is to keep the data in nicely designed
databases, flatfiles, or whatever is appropriate, BUT provide an interface
that makes it look like the data is stored as XML. In other words, every
product should provide an XML import and export.

We have a large database of questions (multiple choice, matching, fill-in-the
blank, survey, etc.) from mostly computer science and computer skills/concepts
that I will make available this summer. I'll make my import/export fit the
emerging EduXML standard, but my data probably won't have to change.

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank,       Assistant Professor
dblank@brynmawr.edu,          (610)526-6501