Re: [school-discuss] KDE3 for those ...

>Matt,
>    All my installs have been Redhat. Up til recently I used gnome,
>but lately have switched to KDE because it just feels better
>somehow. If one wants to upgrade to KDE 3, how massive a headache is
>it? Would you first uninstall KDE 2 then install an rpm for KDE 3?
>Is there an RPM? I'd like to upgrade but don't want to spend days
>working out glitches.
>Thanks,
>Dave Prentice
>prentice@instruction.com

Hi

We have been using KDE3 in our school for a week, and these are our
experiences:

1. Installation is painless. We use SuSE Linux 7.1 and 7.3 and installed
the RPM files for each SuSE version. There are no conflicts between KDE2
and KDE3.

2. KDE2 and KDE3 coexist peacefully on each computer. Since you can have
both, you can always enter to KDE2 or KDE3 as you wish. Also, you can run
without problems KDE2.x apps in your KDE3 environment.

3. We strongly suggest that you download liquid KDE style engine (in
http://www.mosfet.org/liquid.html or in
http://www.suse.com/us/support/download/linuks/i386/update_for_7_3/extra.html
if you use SuSE 7.3) It, with the Slick Theme for the icons, gives a
really cool appareance to KDE.

Regards,

ENMAC Linux User Group