Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools

> How does one go about proposing moving a school from Windows to
Linux?

Actually, it all depends on your role. As the technology director
for our district, I just switched over our web server and didn't
even say a word about it. Then, when I was talking to our
superintendent about file and print services (and linux
specifically), he asked if I had
any experience with linux. When I told him our web server was
running linux for over a year, he was impressed.

Someone here asked what applications are keeping us from switching
desktops. For me the answer is:
1) Accelerated Reader
2) KidPix
3) Lots of 'edutainment' stuff, particularly those from Davidson,
Sunburst, Knowledge Adventure (JumpStart), and (like it or not)
Microsoft (Magic School Bus).
4) Even if all these were addressed, I'm not sure we would still be
able to completely switch (particularly at the High School), since
we serve as our own "vocational education" service and I have some
parents already questioning why we're using Corel instead of
Microsoft and naturally "that's what they'll see in 'the real
world'".

The "chicken and the egg" problem definitely exists.

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world