Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools

On 25 Apr 2002 at 10:49, Cameron Miller wrote:
> To address "that's what they'll see in 'the real world'":
>
> Here is an example line I feed the professors at my current job,
"Are
> you teaching word processing or how to use a specific word
processor?"

> Most of the profs are old enough to have gone through word perfect
and
> msword on DOS and Windows 3.x, so they usually agree that using
the
> software product that is seen most in 'the real world'" is not the
most
> important requirement when teaching office software usage to
students.

> The same approach could be applied across the general office
software
> spectrum.

...which is why I talked about vo-ed. At the elementary level,
certainly, and perhaps even Jr. High. But for the people who will be
getting into the job market in the next 2-3 years, Microsoft will
still be dominant, with Corel a distant second.

I have one parent in particular who asks me about this constantly,
and I've told her so. (And I've also told her we use Corel because
the price is ~$5000/yr whereas MS is ~$21000/yr.) I'm still going to
push the use of OpenOffice for the simple reason that students could
take home a CD and install it legally.

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world