Re: [school-discuss] Students "hacking"

I think Michael's positive response (and results) below speak for
themselves :).

I just want to nitpick and suggest that we employ the proper
terminology: maybe a discussion-worthy area of interest for this student
is the difference between the misused term "hacker" and its conterpart
"cracker".

Hacker is NOT cracker. I assume that you all know that already, but call
an ace an "ace" and call a cracker a "cracker". There may still be hope
for routing out the oppressive stereotype and mis-terminology that the
sensationalist mass-media categorizes all geeks into. *shrug*

best,
  -Karl

# FWIW, here's an old paste From Jargon File 4.2.3:
#
#
# 7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or
# circumventing limitations.  8. [deprecated] A malicious meddler who
# tries to discover sensitive information by poking around.  Hence
# `password hacker', `network hacker'.  The correct term for this sense is
# {cracker}.