Re: [school-discuss] Plea for assistance

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:27:04PM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
> I just saw this letter about Open Projects problems.  Since they host
> the #schoolforge IRC channel, anyone here who has the capability to help
> them should seriously consider it:
>
> http://lwn.net/daily/help-opnirc.php3

I'd like to second that.  It is not only that they happen to host our
channel.  If you believe in Schoolforge being about community building, Open
Projects is very compatible with our own goals.  Have a look at the list of
projects that run their channels on their network.  I think there is
tremendous opportunity for collaboration when you get such a diverse group
of people together, all sharing the same network.

Just today I was idling on channel #latex, which I started doing just to get
help with some problems I was having.  I ended up idling there all week,
answering a few other people's questions, and it paid off just today in the
form of a chance meeting with a fellow with a couple of kids of his own who,
when I started sharing with him what I was doing, took an interest in Debian
Jr.  In fact, no matter which channel I visit on this network, I seem to
keep on bumping into like-minded individuals.  This has been great for
helping to keep Debian Jr. vital.

So if anyone can give them a hand up, it's not only beneficial to keeping a
valuable service that we use up and running, but it is also putting
your support behind the broader community of free software projects out
there, which are fertile ground for new people and ideas for our own
projects.

Finally, if your own project is looking to establish an irc channel, or if
you have one, but have been suffering from isolation on a network that is
not as supportive of open projects, do consider establishing a channel on
Open Projects.  Give us a shout on #schoolforge and I'm sure one of us will
be able to help you get oriented.  The irc server address is
irc.openprojects.net.

Ben