RE: [school-discuss] LTSP First Time

> It's possible to run local applications with LTSP; I've experimented
> with a couple, but only standard applications. You have to take some
> care in making all the libraries available for running the applications
> on the client machine, but it ought to be possible.

Yeah I had heard about this .. but i haven't gotten round to testing it
myself yet
i have a network at home with a redhat 9.0 server that uses samba to host
files to my 2 other machines on the network. unfortunately, one of those
machines uses an nforce2 chipset so my kernel can't support it's onboard gfx
:( annoying piece of sh*t :o)

but on the 3rd machine i can run LTSP on it with no problems at all. but i
thought that you needed NOTHING except a bucket of RAM on the client
machines .. even if you wanted to do local apps. i thought that the whole
app is loaded into memory? am i wrong with that?

> When my job list gets down as far as "getting that client machine with
> the fast graphics card booting a specially compiled kernel" I'll have a
> go at running something locally;

I'll tell you what, i'm giving you special permission to do it tonight and
you may report back to me with your findings tomorrow morning :p

This email and any attached files are confidential and may
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately
by telephone at ++353 1 6035800 or email emailadmin@iibbank.ie
and then delete this email.
Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.The sender therefore
of this message, and shall have no liability for any loss or damage
suffered by the user, which arise as a result of email transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard copy version.