Re: [school-discuss] simputers

Phil Torrance III wrote:

--- Yishay Mor <yishaym@onetel.net.uk> wrote:

And #3 - its all open source :-)

? for me,
opensrc is about having the freedom to make software act the way I want it to;
so, if a platform like mi$ win/ce allows me to do programming for the platform, then I figure let the leeches control my operating system, because if all the applications are opensource, and all of them are running on a virtual (java-like) machine to provide the security that ce lacks, then I may not have a greased gaming machine, but I do have a useable educational tool !

I can accept that, but:
a. The Simputer is more than a PDA.
b. It's open source all the way down to the wires. i.e., the hardware design is OS.
c. By buying it you support small 3rd world producers. By buying a WinCE PDA, you support exploitive western corporations. But then, that's debatable.

In the end, its whatever gets you through the night. Any way you can find to provide high-quality, low-price and user-controlable educational technology will get my "Kosher" stamp.

best,

- Yishay

Yishay Mor
http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=4381&4381_0=7303
y.mor@ioe.ac.uk Ph +44(0)20 7612 6963 F +44(0)20 7612 6964 AIM,Yahoo: yishaym; Jabber: yishaym@jabber.org; ICQ: 179772099
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=yishaym
celebrating 100 years of excellence in education www.ioe.ac.uk/centenary