Re: [school-discuss] Linux Laptop

Joel,

The board I work doesn't completely understand about Linux/Open Source but
it's more my manager of IT that prefers Windows etc.

Our teacher consultant suggested that our approach should be a grass roots
one.  So we started by introducing Open Source Software for Windows.  Using
Tuxpaint, OpenOffice etc to show how there is great software at no cost.  We
have put some OSS on our current windows image.

Our secondary schools were running Linux servers for a couple of years
before new management decided to go with 2003 Server but at least we proved
it could be done.  Before the changes OO was going to be used instead of MS
Office and OO cds were going to be burned and left in the library for
students to borrow.  They could install it at home and return the cd.  (Now
parents are forced to buy MS Office for home using $$$).

Starting small would raise less attention (for managment) but kids would
benefit especially younger grades with say Tuxpaint and Tuxmath.

Hope this helps.

Jason